MADE is committed to the pursuit of economic justice and social wellbeing on a global scale, as means of promoting sustainable development. The Qur’an commands us to ‘stand out firmly for justice…even if it be against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, be they rich or poor’ (Qur’an 4:135).
- To behave with professionalism at all times to do justice to the responsibility that each of us have as individuals and as a team
- To treat our staff, interns and volunteers on the same level and not have a hierarchical attitude.
- To operate an equal opportunities policy and not discriminate for any reason
- To be just when we deal with other organisations and partners (e.g. responding to queries promptly, keeping to our commitments)
- To provide a platform and promote ethical organisations to our supporter base
- We understand our own niche and will not undercut other organisations
Humility is vital in the struggle to promote justice, as the Prophet Muhammad said ‘you should adopt humility so that no one oppresses another’ (Riyadh us-Salaheen). Humility is also an essential ingredient in creating a sense global belonging, learning from others, and celebrating diversity.
- To actively seek feedback from our stakeholders and implement robust monitoring & evaluation systems so that we are a continuous learning organisation.
- We have a shared responsibility for certain tasks such as keeping the office clean and tidy, and no task is beneath anyone.
- Not take our volunteers or interns for granted and appreciate and recognise their contributions.
- Seek to work with diverse partners, including those with differences of opinion so that we can learn from each other.
- To be non-sectarian and play a role in uniting diverse Muslim communities.
- To appreciate and acknowledge the contributions of others and not take the undue credit.
- To be prepared to acknowledge when we have made a mistake.
We believe that “Allah does not change the condition of a people until they change themselves” (Qur’an 13:11). MADE seeks to empower young people to become leaders in the fight against global poverty. This means creating a movement of young Muslims who have the skills and courage to campaign on issues they care about in innovative and creative ways, and who can inspire others to do the same.
- To offer training, development opportunities and support to our team to develop our internal leadership.
- To operate a principle of shared leadership so that all team members are empowered to make decisions within their own areas of responsibility and contribute towards the wider organisational strategy.
- To lead by example by setting high standards for ourselves (e.g. environmental policy).
- To continue to work on and champion issues which are neglected by other organisations and less well known.
- Seek to be known as experts in our field both among Muslim communities and the wider sector.
- To provide training and opportunities to young people to develop youth leadership in Muslim communities.